That are the male/female cavy that is best fits for best-buddy experience, and which matches could bring many dilemmas in their social life. I am hoping this informative article will causes things effortless for you really to determine in your guinea pigs’ social life while making them live delighted together.
1. Why do you want one or more guinea pig?
Because guinea pigs are extremely social pets, it will always be suggested which they reside with a minumum of one another cage mate. Having only one guinea pig makes his/her life lonely, regardless of how enough time you may spend because you are not (presumably, as you are reading this) of a cavy species, but human – which just doesn’t cut it with him or her. We don’t speak their language, although we are able to mostly know very well what will they be attempting to tell us.
Solo guinea pig could get lonely, less wondering, less vocal, less active, less funny. It isn’t normal in order for them to live without the other of these sort.
Whenever living together, guinea pigs would communicate together, play and run around more, follow and groom one another, and perhaps also rest cuddled up together.
Whenever selecting cage mates, it will always be better russian bride photos to have a similar sex, or various gender but neutered – because there are a lot of abandoned guinea pigs in neighborhood pet shelters, and breeding is usually not advised, as you can save yourself the people through the shelters. This, needless to say, very hinges on your geographic location and guinea pig populace.
2. Fancy terms
- Boar: Male guinea pig.
- Sow: Feminine guinea pig.
- Sexing guinea pigs: Determining if your guinea pig is a boar or a sow.
- Neutering: an over-all term used to explain the castration of a male animal. It is made from eliminating the testicles.
- Spaying: an over-all term utilized to explain the ovariohysterectomy of a sow. It consist of an removal of the sow’s reproductive organ – either the whole thing or even a dramatically big component. It’s a serious and complicated medical procedure.
Both spaying and neutering are surgical procedures that give your pet not capable of reproducing. they truly are done with a veterinarian. These are typically mostly done due to the overpopulation of animal shelters – it is advisable to truly save the people which occur then to reproduce brand new people.
If having a selection, always neuter your male guinea pig. The procedure is more difficult for feminine guinea pigs. Always check with your guinea pig veterinarian first.
3. Preparations before presenting newbies
- You should be 100% certain you realize the intercourse of one’s guinea pigs. There are many great pages for this, like with this website link. If you’re nevertheless unsure in regards to the sex, pose a question to your veterinarian. Don’t depend on the information fond of you because of the animal store workers.
- Prepare a sizable cage that is enough there is the minimal suggested measurements in the guinea pig cages web page.
- If having two males, prepare separate hiding places and meals bowls, so each one of these might have “his very own stuff”.
- The cage and all sorts of the cage add-ons should always be cleaned vinegar that is using to remove all past scents. Rearranging the cage inside can also be suggested to eliminate the current “personal touch”.
- Wash your guinea pigs to hide their natural somewhat fragrance. One great tip from Jackie’s Guinea Piggies is always to rub the hay through the current guinea pigs cage regarding the comer that is new. In that way the newbie would smell like a somewhat user regarding the herd.
- Quarantine duration for the guinea pig that is new. Your guinea that is new pig carry some diseases that could incubate for some time, and distribute among your current cavies. Therefore, you will need to quarantine your guinea that is new pig at minimum a couple of weeks, so possible diseases would show with time to avoid epidemic. Keep carefully the newcomer from your recurring guinea pigs, and always clean your hand after handling the newcomer.
4. Guinea pig matches
The guinea that is following matches are bought from easiest to possibly problematic.
- Two infant guinea pigs
- Baby guinea pig and an adult guinea pig for the gender that is same
- Neutered male plus one or even more females
- Two females. You are able they will never go along – depends upon their characters
- Two males could are now living in harmony, but that is dependent upon a specific instance – again, in the character regarding the guinea pigs at issue
5. Introductions rules and guidelines
- Whenever presenting brand new guinea pig, never place your brand new guinea pig straight into the cage where your old guinea pig has already been residing.
- Their very very first conference ought to be done in the large, enclosed ground that is“neutral – somewhere outside of the cage, in a place that is a new comer to both guinea pigs, like a specific area of a home or your bathrooms.
- Put a stack of hay and treats (vegetables) in to the center of this area.
- Spot all your valuable guinea pigs to the area.
- Prepare some towels, just in case they begin to get actually aggressive.
- Observe they behaviour: ignoring the other person is normal. Then, all this work might happen: mounting the other person, teeth chattering, chasing around, purring combined with swaggering stroll, etc. It really is a thing that is natural them – developing hierarchy, who’s the employer, who’s the friendly neighbor and whom does not care. This can simply take about a full hour; from then on, you ought to nevertheless observe them for the next handful of hours.
- After the observing period (about 3 hours alltogether) they ought to appear more comfortable with one another. They can be placed by you during the cage together.
- Observe their behaviour within the cage for the next time frame, merely to be certain these are typically okay.
- When they don’t appear to go along after their time together committed in the ground that is neutral read further. You will need to throw a towel at the aggressive one and separate one from another if they start to get physically aggressive and fight.
6. Imagine if they don’t go along?
You are able that your particular guinea pigs won’t go along, no real matter what you are doing and exactly how very very carefully you have got browse the guidelines about this page that is manual. Don’t be alarmed or disheartened nature that is works this way.
Should this happen, you will have to have them divided for some reason. The smartest thing to accomplish is to have them near sufficient so that they could see, smell and communicate with one another, but they are divided with a few form of a partition. They’ve been still social, and achieving another guinea pig within their vicinity will be a whole lot for them.